Sunday, September 9, 2007

Small town education

I'm from a small town in south Texas. What really bothered me about my school district was their priorities. At the beginning of my senior year a large amount of money was donated the my school. Instead of buying new computers for the classrooms or even BOOKS for each student, it went to the football team. I know we live in Texas and football is a high priority for most (don't get me wrong I do love it!), but if I had to choose between a Algebra books for my students or a mega scoreboard for the stadium...I think I would go for the books!! If the quarterback is lacking in his classes because he doesn't have the materials he needs to succeed in the subject, then he won't have the ability to play football by UIL standards. Even though I have already graduated and moved on from that school district it still eats at me!

4 comments:

Kelly Inman said...

We kind of had a same thing happen to my school except they were re-doing the whole school and we had no where to park and alot of our classes were in outside trailor buildings.

Anonymous said...

Interesting observation about football. It often seems like the quality of a school is determined on the football field rather than in the classroom.

MariiLovess said...

OMG THAT IS CRAZY!! I love football too but why would they pick the stadium over computers! Nope! Not cool!

Justin Frasier said...

Thats interesting, the high school I went to is now spending millions on a new stadium as well as an indoor practice field. Other organizations only recieved enough for small improvements. One new instrument for the band, new hats for the dance team, and new floors for the gym. I dont recall anything being planned for academics. All that money for a four quarted game. The classroom is much more important.